To advise the Bishop on matters pertaining to the needs of Catholics of African descent; to exchange information and promote effective communication among all Catholics, in particular, members of the Sacramento Diocese Black Catholic communities and the clergy within the diocese; to seek and propose ways for effectively meeting pastoral, social, and cultural issues relating to Catholics of African descent; and to strive for the evangelization of our faith communities, the unchurched, and the wider community.
Every Second Saturday of the Month
Gospel Masses are held every second Saturday of each month livestreamed at 5pm from St. Rose Parish in Sacramento. Join us virtually on the Sacramento Diocese Black Catholic Ministry Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SacramentoBlackCatholicMinistry
Every Second Sunday of the Month
Gospel Masses are also held every second Sunday of each month outdoors at 9:30am at St. Basil Church, located at 1200 Tuolumne St., Vallejo, CA 94590.
"Speaking the Truth in Love" Series
Under the Black Catholic Ministry (BCM) of the Diocese of Sacramento, the Sister Thea Bowman Group at St. Basil the Great Church will be hosting the “Speaking the Truth in Love” series. This series provides an understanding of the contributions, beauty, and richness of influential black Catholics. All are welcome to join this series.
Every third Sunday of the month, join for video presentations on the lives of notable Black Catholics. You can view a full schedule and past presentations at https://stbasilvallejo.org/open-wide-our-hearts
Information and Registration
We encourage you to complete the form at least for census purposes, so that we can have a knowledge about our community in the Diocese. This will help us obtain funds and other support.
- If you have friends or relatives within the Diocese who have not completed this form, please encourage them to complete the form. We are often asked for community statistics and so we need compiled to share.
- If you do not want to register as a member, but only wish to complete the census, please click here.
- Please complete this registration form to stay informed. Also, please consider getting involved – we need your help to make these good goals become a reality!
Thank you for helping the BCM get to know and serve you better!
Goals of the BCM
- ✓ Bring an African American Priest to Sacramento
- Establish a Black Catholic Spiritual Center
- ✓ Have regularly scheduled Masses with a Gospel choir
- Increase the African American Catholic presence in the Diocese
- Host more Black Catholic Cultural and Social events
- Increase Black youth and family involvement
Meetings of the BCM
BCM meets every 1st Saturday of the month, 9:45am - 10:45am. There is an optional prayer meeting beginning at 9:30am.
St. Rose of Lima Parish - Boland Hall
5961 Franklin Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95824
Go to the parking lot to the right of Kavanagh Hall (the large, northernmost building). To the right of the lot is the side of the gym. Enter through the gate of the black steel fence to the left of the gym and then enter the building to the immediate left of the gate.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 916-720-9025 for more information.