“In the Catholic tradition, responsible citizenship is a virtue; participation in the political process is a moral obligation. All believers are called to faithful citizenship, to become informed, active, and responsible participants in the political process.”
- From a statement of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship: A Call to Political Responsibility
California Catholic Advocacy Network
Join the California Catholic Advocacy Network Today! Together, our voices will be heard. Join with thousands of our members who are standing up for life and dignity.
- Receive our free weekly e-newsletter, Public Policy Insights - you will be up to date on the key public policy issues happening in California.
- You will receive periodic Action Alerts which make it easy for you to voice your opinion on crucial issues. In less than a minute your letter will be sent to your elected representative!
- You can use the network at any time to easily send e-mails to your elected representatives.
- Your contact information will not be sold or given to any other entity.
Visit the Action Alerts page and make your voice heard on priority bills in California: https://cacatholic.org/action-alerts
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops-Action Center
Sign up for Action Alerts from the USCCB! View current action alerts and sign up for future alerts so that you can contact your elected representatives to express your concerns and opinions on upcoming legislation
Catholic Charities USA Advocacy
CCUSA Advocacy and Social Policy team advocates for policies that uphold human dignity and promote integral human development. Informed by the experience of local Catholic Charities agencies, CCUSA urges policy makers to see the faces of those in need in their communities and to create policies which assist and support them.
Catholic Climate Covenant
In 2006, to address growing ecological awareness and the need to implement Catholic social teaching on ecology within the US Church, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops helped form the Catholic Climate Covenant. Through advocacy, the Catholic Climate Covenant lifts a united Catholic voice to support sensible, faith-informed climate public policies. Sign up for Alerts!
Religious Freedom allows the Church, and all religious communities, to live out their faith in public and to serve the good of all. Beginning June 22, the feast of Sts. Thomas More and John Fisher, the USCCB invites Catholics to pray, reflect and act to promote religious freedom.
Deacon Legislative Advocacy Team
In order to facilitate more engaged legislative advocacy in the Diocese, Bishop Soto has appointed Deacon Legislative Advocacy Coordinators who organize regularly meetings with state representatives to advocate on important social issues. If you are interested in meeting with your state legislator, you may contact Laura Rios at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to see the Deacon Legislative Coordinator in your area.
2022 Focus Bills for the Deacon Legislative Advocacy Team:
- Supporting SB 996 (Kamlager) Expansion of CalWorks Eligibility
- Supporting AB 2217 (Reyes) CalHome Program: Grant Allocation
- Supporting AB 2717 (Waldron) Prisons: California Healthy Start Act
- Opposing SB 1142 (Caballero) - Abortion Services
The following are useful brochures published by the California Catholic Conference:
- How To Lobby
This brochure contains useful information for letting your legislator know what you think through a constituent visit and through phone calls and writing letters. Also includes a summary of the process for how a bill becomes a law.
- Guidelines for Candidates’ Forums
This brochure includes specific guidelines for hosting or sponsoring a political forum. See the USCCB Guidelines for more detail.