Students from St. Ignatius (Sacramento), Holy Spirit (Sacramento), Notre Dame (Vacaville), Our Lady of the Assumption (Carmichael), St. Catherine of Siena (Vallejo), St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (Elk Grove), St. John Vianney (Rancho Cordova), and St. Mary (Sacramento) represented our diocese and competed in the National Academic Junior High Decathlon for Catholic schools on Saturday, March 25th.
These students were invited to compete on the national level because of their first place wins at our diocesan (regional) Academic Decathlon on March 4th. At the regional competition, the team from St. Ignatius placed first as the Overall Winner for the 16th year in a row! The entire team was invited to compete in the National event, along with all other Overall Winners from dioceses across the country. In addition, all first place diocesan individual subject winners were invited to compete at the national level.
The competition includes a team Logic Test and a Super Quiz. There are eight individual subject tests as well, including Religion, Current Events, English, Fine Arts, Literature, Math, Science and Social Studies.
The Catholic School Department is extremely proud of all these decathletes and especially recognize the students from the following schools who are 2023 National Winners in Individual Subjects:
- Current Events: First Place Winner from St Ignatius School and Third Place Winner from St. Catherine of Siena School
- English: Second Place Winner from St Elizabeth Ann Seton School
- Religion: First Place Winner from Holy Spirit Parish School, Sacramento
- Science: First Place Winner from St. Ignatius School and Second Place Winner from St. Mary School
- Social Studies: First Place Winner from Notre Dame School, Vacaville
Congratulations to all of our decathletes! We are already looking forward to our next Diocesan Academic Decathlon on March 2, 2024!
For more information about this exciting event, go to the Catholic Academic Junior High Decathlon website: https://www.catholicajhd.org/